
Hi Everyone,
It's been a busy first semester and David and I start semester 2 soon. Mostly I've been recovering from the first semester, i.e. reading sci-fi in bed with a mug of tea trying to stay warm while ignoring the work I was suppose to do before next semester.
We did manage to enjoy some free time before worrying about school again, spending a few days exploring the South Island.

To get to the South Island you have to take a ferry, which is more like a small cruise ship complete with cafe, bar, arcade, and movie theatre.

A reef of tubeworms at lowtide. Needless to say David was happy.

Ecological Restoration site outside of Nelson
We spent 2 nights in Nelson, 2 nights in Blenheim, and one in Havelock. Nelson was fun and the hostel had a hot tub. It's considered a large town (with about 30,000 people) and has lots of local art. Nelson is also near some of the most beautiful beaches in Abel Tasman Park, but neither David or I were willing to take a dip in the freezing weather. I found great rocks and David got excited about creatures with long Latin names. Blenheim isn't worth mentioning except that is lies in the middle of wine country, so it made for a good stopping point after tasting our way along the east coast.


During our tour of wine country we learned that the South Island produces the best white wine in NZ and the North Island is known for their reds.


Secluded beach we discovered behind some vineyards south of Blenheim
Havelock is a little gem, with a population of about 300 at the base of Pelorus Sound. The people are friendly and the scenery is inspiring to say the least. Due to weather the road crossing the mountains were closed, so we only explored the northern most part of the South Island. Even with the grey skies during our trip, every turn other minute was filled with oohs and aahs and I can't wait to get further south to see the glaciers and hopefully penguins.

Havelock
Well that's all for now. David has collected some bird calls during his field trips, but I can't figure out how to post them on a blog...I don't think I can. So if you want to hear some New Zealand birds let me know and I should be able to attach the sound files to an email.
Oh yeah, we have acquired 3 pet rats, Petey, Griselda, and Zappa. We didn't name them, the previous owner did. David has been quite happy building them a cage and designing all kinds of things for them to play and chew on.

Also, I have started volunteering at the campus radio station. So now I have a weekly radio show again, every Tuesday at 10am. It's streaming online (as long as all the equipment is working), so you can hear me from your very own computer. It's been a great way to learn about local musicians. Although I mostly play music from the US - this is because once arriving here David and I realized that most of the world only hears pop music from the US (and we need to explain that not everyone listens to Brittney Spears), so I feel there is a need to provide a more rounded spectrum of American music. Since working for the station I've also learned that there is no censorship in New Zealand, which makes it easier to prep for a show.
You can listen to me through the station's website http://www.muntfm.co.nz
Due to the time change I think my Tuesday morning show is really your Monday early evening.
Well now I'm going to bed, not because I'm tired, but because it's the only warm place in the house. I definitely recommend visiting in the summer.
I miss you all. It is great hearing from everyone-keep me up to date! I'm sorry I'm note better at keeping in touch.
Much Love,
Molly
1 comment:
i programed my phone to remind me of ur radio show, on monday. I am streaming as now & I just heard its mushroom season - yum! I m going to snd u some good hip hop of the conscious type to inspire perhaps... anyhow U look so happy
--------------- but rats? I guess its 'the thing' in LA ?? everyone has rats as pets?? mayb it s just the thing???
xoxo
Post a Comment